Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Friday, May 8, 2009

FUN FACTS about "iDate A Bad Boy"

by Dan Schneider
iCarly Executive Producer/Creator

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

If you're reading this, you probably know that Saturday, May 9th was the premiere of the iCarly one-hour episode "iDate A Bad Boy." You probably also know that it's one of my favorite iCarly episodes of all time. Well, here's a bunch of scene-by-scene information about the episode. If you're an iCarly super-fan, you'll probably like reading this stuff. If you're a casual fan... maybe... maybe not. But most importantly...

DON'T READ THIS BEFORE YOU WATCH THE EPISODE IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS!!!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!! :) Remember: You can wait and read this after you watch the episode.



You're still reading? Well okay then. Here's all the inside info...

For starters, "iDate A Bad Boy" is the first ever one-hour iCarly episode (to air).

This is also the first time that Carly really starts dating someone.

*** HOW THE EPISODE CAME TO BE ***

For a long time I had two iCarly ideas in my head. The first one was for Carly to date a hot guy who's a "bad boy." This happens a lot in real life -- the sweet "good girl" falls for the rebel guy. That seemed like a great story area for iCarly.

The second idea was for Spencer to walk in on Carly kissing a boy. This also seemed like a very interesting event for iCarly because Spencer is the ultimate awesome brother, but...

...even the coolest, most fun big brother often has a hard time seeing his little sister become a teenager and start dating. I felt this would be an interesting dynamic for Jerry (Spencer) to play, because he'd be torn between wanting to be his always fun, unstrict self, and wanting to keep his baby sister the little girl he's known and loved all his life.

Then I decided to combine these two ideas into one EPIC iCarly special episode. And now...

*** THE SCENE-BY-SCENE FUN FACTS ***

*** Scene 1 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Sam cutting a boy's hair.

• We see the first of two Penny-Tees in this one-hour episode. This one on Sam says Noodle Booty.

• The idea for the "Neck Infection" video was inspired by the many disgusting videos that can be found online. One of my writers is always showing the rest of us these horrible, gross videos he finds online. And when he shows them to us, people always run away screaming. So we decided to use that in the show.

• This scene ends with Sam looking at the laptop screen and saying, "Yeah" as she watches the gross video. But that was not the way the scene ended in the script. Here was the ending we CUT:

AS FREDDIE RUNS OUT, SPENCER (LOOKING CONFUSED) ENTERS.
SPENCER: (TO SAM) What are Freddie and Carly freakin' out about?
SAM: (WATCHING VIDEO) Ah, I was showin' 'em this video and they couldn't handle it.
SPENCER: Oh. (CROSSING TO LOOK AT LAPTOP SCREEN) What's the video abou-- (INSTANTLY SICKENED) Ohhh...
SPENCER IS NAUSEATED. HIS LEGS BECOME RUBBERY, AND HE FAINTS, COLLAPSING ONTO THE FLOOR.
CUT TO: MAIN TITLES

But since the episode was long, we cut the Spencer bit and just ended the scene with Sam saying "Yeah" after Freddie runs out. It works well.

*** Scene 2 ***
Scene begins with Spencer on the couch, folding laundry.

• Spencer mentions his motorcycle. This refers to a previous episode of iCarly entitled "iPromote TechFoots." In that episode, Carly buys Spencer a motorcycle with some money she got thanks to Spencer's legal help.

• As you'll see, this episode was directed by Steve Hoefer (pronounced "Hayfer"). Steve usually directs all my "big" episodes... the ones that are hard to produce. He's incredible. He directed the pilot of iCarly, and iGo To Japan, and recently my new pilot starring Victoria Justice. I don't think anyone could find a better, nicer, more talented directed in TV. (Steve, if you're reading this, I mean it!)

• We meet the guy who will become Carly's boyfriend in this episode: "Griffin." He's played by actor Drew Roy. Miranda (and even Miranda's mom) had a big part in helping me decide who should play Griffin. Needless to say, Miranda squealed when I told her I gave the part to Drew. She was very excited about acting with him.

• Griffin shows Carly and Spencer his cool tee-shirt and says he designed. In fact, the tee-shirt he's wearing was designed (and made) by Kris, our head costumer.

• One of my very favorite comedy movies of all time is Arthur which starred Dudley Moore. In this scene, there are two lines which are a nod to that movie. Can anyone identify them? ;)

*** Scene 3 ***
Scene begins with Sam and two friends sitting on the steps at school, watching videos on Sam's laptop.

• Look at the necklace Sam is wearing in this scene. It's made of an antique plastic called "Catalin" (also called "Bakelite"). If you've seen my antique radio collection in some of the pics I've Tweeted... those radios are made of Catalin. It was a popular, colorful plastic used in the 1930's and 1940's. The necklace was made out of vintage Catalin by a jewelry maker I know.

• You'll hear SamPuckett.com mentioned in this scene. We own that URL. It will re-direct you to iCarly.com.

*** Scene 4 ***
Scene begins with Spencer and Griffin moving a large metal cube.

• I'm not sure why, but it makes me laugh out loud every time when I hear Spencer say, "Wendy of course how are you?" His delivery was just perfectly hilarious (as usual with Jerry).

• When I originally wrote this scene, "Wendy" was not in it. My reason for adding her was... I thought it would be irresponsible of Spencer to leave Carly alone in their apartment with Griffin, since Spencer doesn't know him that well yet. Also, I think it's nice to see our characters (Carly, Sam, and Freddie) hang out with other friends from time to time. That helps keep things realistic.

*** Scene 5 ***
Scene begins with Sam and Freddie sitting at a table at the Groovy Smoothie.

• Guess who has (in his house) the actual drawing of Freddie being attacked by a tiger? Hint: ME! I think I should frame it and put it up, right?

• Another appearance by T-Bo! That guy is so fun and cool (the actor and the character). He's a great addition to iCarly. I really like that he's become a regular at the Groovy Smoothie. He's sooo funny.

• Many of you ask me if the actors improvise any of their lines. Well, 99% of the time they don't. However... in this scene, during one take, Jerry (for no reason) just yelled "Gas bubble!!!" It cracked up everyone on the set. So, I put it in the show!

*** Scene 6 ***
Scene begins with Spencer walking down the hall to his apartment, and continues as Spencer enters his apartment.

• We did lots of takes of this scene. And Miranda never complained about having to kiss Griffin over and over. I think she even suggested we do a few extra takes. ;)

*** Scene 7 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Griffin on the couch, and Spencer pacing and yelling at them.

• I think Spencer's anger in this scene is perfect and hilarious. One of my favorite Jerry scenes EVER.

• In this scene, Carly explains to Spencer how the kiss happened. Watch that explanation. Here is the dialogue I wrote, which Carly says:

"Well, Wendy and I were trying
to study but Griffin kept turning
up the music, so Wendy got
frustrated and left, then I told
Griffin he was obnoxious and he
said I should "rent a sense of
humor" and I said "Oh really?"
and then while I was telling him
how immature he was I realized
he's super-cute, and he asked
me if I like music, so I go "Who
doesn't like music?", so then I
turned on some music and we
started talking and then I realized
he's really sweet and smart and
his lips were right there in front
of me so I leaned over and
and I kissed him!"

• Miranda did 6 takes of that speech. She never made one mistake -- she did every take perfectly. To all of you who tell me you want to be actors... try to learn that speech. See if you can memorize it, then deliver it without making one mistake. Let me know how it goes! ;)

• The line where Carly says "I kiss like a princess!" -- that was not in the script. I added it on set as we were shooting the scene. I love how Miranda delivers that line.

• I also added this unscripted exchange on set, as we were filming the scene:

CARLY: For 'til college?!
SPENCER: For 'til college!!!

• At the end of this scene, Carly swings a sledgehammer. But the ones that Spencer and Griffin used were too heavy for Miranda, so our prop master got a smaller (lighter) one for her. All the sledgehammers used in this episode are real.

*** Scene 8 ***
Scene begins with Sam at her locker, when Freddie comes around the corner.

• Even in her (intentionally) lame outfit, Carly still looks freakin' adorable, doesn't she?

• For those of you who watched the preview clip of this scene from Turbo Nick, can you figure out the line I cut from this scene??? CAN YA? So what is it?!?

*** Scene 9 ***
Scene begins with Spencer installing a steel plate in front of the door.

• The bit where Spencer PICKS UP Carly and jumps up and down on the metal plate with her... that was not scripted. I added that bit on the set while we were shooting the scene. When it happens, the look on Carly's face and the way her hair bounces... I love it. So cute and funny.

• Larry the mailman is NOT that overweight. He's wearing padding underneath his shirt.

*** Scene 10 ***
Scene begins with Sam at the Groovy Smoothie counter, getting a smoothie from T-Bo.

• I'm frequently mesmerized by the gigantic lava lamps.

• Notice in this scene how the bush behind Freddie is moving in the breeze? Not an accident!

• Yes, those are the two most interesting behind-the-scenes facts I could think of to tell you about this scene. Hahaha.

*** Scene 11 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Spencer coming down the stairs in the lobby.

• I'm not sure, but I think this is the same yellow vest Spencer wore in the second episode of iCarly "iWant More Viewers." Am I right?

• I thought I invented the word "besmooched" -- but apparently I didn't because I see it a few times when I Google the word. Whatever the case, you are free to use it as much as you like. :)

• At the very end of this scene, notice who's at his desk, asleep? Yep, it's LEWBERT (well, sort of).

*** Scene 12 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Griffin coming off the elevator together.

• The green umbrella in Spencer's glass makes me happy.

• It was Jerry's idea to turn the Bottle Bot's head toward Carly and Griffin before he exits to his room. He did it in a run-through and I loved it. So, I had him do it in the show.

Watch the Bottle Bot's RED EYES after Spencer turns its head. That was an awesome little effect added by my post production team. So great. I love when they surprise me with little touches like that. They just make the show that much better. :)

*** Scene 13 ***
Scene begins with Carly pouring herself a glass of grape juice.

• In this scene, Spencer introduces the Sham-Pow. Why? Because some of my writers were obsessed with the Sham-Wow and ordered a couple of them. They kept playing with them in the writer's room. So, we decided we needed to put them in the show. And we did.

• I've seen many people watch this episode, and EVERYONE laughs at loud when Freddie says, "Yawn."

*** Scene 14 ***
Scene begins with Freddie at his tech cart, and Sam entering.

• I love the way Carly says, "You can't count your chicken pox vaccination." So cute and fun.

• The video of Matt and Clifford eating fake snowflakes... that's a REAL fan-submitted video!

• Yes, we did drop real raisins on Carly and Sam at the end of this scene. We had to use the goggles because we were afraid the raisins might hurt the girls' eyes.

• I really enjoy Sam's line at the end of this scene, "We're so stupid!!!"

*** Scene 15 ***
Scene begins with Sam entering the hallway in her red shirt.

• I'm not sure what made me think of the "portable power saw" bit for Sam, but it plays really funny (I feel). It's just a fun, random way to start the scene. And I really enjoy the fact that we now know Sam carries a portable mini power saw in her bag. Oh, Sam.

• Notice how Spencer's hair REALLY IS soaking wet in the beginning, but after a quick dry with his Sham-Pow his hair is totally dry. Cool trick, huh? Hollywood magic.

• Jennette's delivery of the line, "Is Carly here?" is just brilliant. Always makes everyone laugh.

• One of my writers (Eric) always talks about his recurring dream where a monster eats his soup. For real. He has this dream all the time and always talks about it. So finally, we decided to make this a story for Sam and Spencer!

*** Scene 16 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Griffin walking into Griffin's room.

• Who can guess why I added the voice of Griffin's mom at the top of this scene? It's for a specific reason. Can you guess?

• At first I wasn't sure about the dress Carly's wearing in this scene, but when I questioned it, our awesome costumer Kris said, "Oh be quiet, Dan, it's adorable." Well, Kris was right. It is adorable and I was wrong to ever question it. You were right, Kris!!! :)

• I think Miranda is absolutely brilliant in this scene. I don't think any actress could have played it better, cuter, or funnier than Miranda did. I've always felt Miranda was great, ever since I cast her as "Megan" on Drake & Josh. But now she's reached a new level as a comedic actress.

• After Griffin says, "Pretty sweet, huh?" -- the look that Carly gives him = PRICELESS.

• Carly's "Little girl--BOY" line was not scripted. I added it on set while we were shooting.

• You gotta love the look of horror in Carly's eyes during the kiss at the very end of this scene.

*** Scene 17 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Griffin playing a version of Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

• I think Sam is so cute how she's playing the drums.

• This may be the best Carly/Sam scene ever. What do you guys think?

*** Scene 18 ***
Scene begins with Sam sitting in a big red chair in the iCarly studio.

• This is just a cute little scene with Sam and Spencer. Simple, easy, and fun. They're both great in it (as always). I love the comedic chemistry between Jerry and Jennette.

*** Scene 19 ***
Scene begins with Griffin on his bed.

• I like Carly's possessed look that she gets at the end of this scene when she's about to murder Peter.

*** Scene 20 ***
Scene begins with Sam walking into Carly's apartment.

• Sam comes up with a new nickname for Carly in this scene: Carlotta! Cute.

• Do you see the big yellow Gummy Bear on the counter where Sam's bowl of soup is? They're made by a company called "Jellio" and they're great. The Gummy Bears come in several colors and they light up!

• Pretty amazing stunt when the "monster" (that Sam flips) lands on the floor. Hard to believe that guys (stunt men) do that for a living!

• We got so much positive feedback when Sam beat the heck out of Zeebo, we felt it was time for another vicious beating by Sam. Hahaha. (In all seriousness, I can't tell you how many iCarly fans have told me how much they LOVED when Sam gave Zeebo the beatdown.)

• Ah! Another big Gummy Bear. Look behind Spencer's head when he lies down on the couch.

*** Scene 21 ***
Scene begins with Freddie on the phone and Carly on the purple beanbag.

• Another Penny-Tee on Carly. It's hard to read the top word on this one because of Miranda's hair. But it says Vanilla Me Bad.

• Freddie orders an anchovy pizza in this scene. Actually, I'm one of the few people in the world who actually likes anchovy pizza! (Yeah, I'm weird.)

• I love the way Carly says, "Answer it, bad boy." Perfection.

• When Freddie is running out and bumps into Sam in the hallway, he yells "I did not order a pizza!!!" -- but he didn't really yell that when we shot that scene. After editing the show, I felt we needed to hear Freddie say something there, so I recorded him yelling "I did not order a pizza!" then added it to the scene. If I didn't tell you, you'd never know. ;)

• Okay, you know when Sam grabs her shirt collar, pulls it out, and goes "LLL-LLL-LLL-LLL." That is sort of a trade-mark thing that an actor named Charles Nelson Reilly used to do. But no one under 35 will know that. Still, whether you know who Charles Nelson Reilly is or not, it's pretty hilarious. ;)

• There are some very silly little voices that happen near the end of this scene. I did them all -- and I didn't even have to pay myself. My favorite voice is the one where I say, "And honeymoon on Pee Wee Island!"

*** Final Three Short Scenes ***
Begins with Spencer entering the kitchen and seeing a bowl of soup.

• The monster in the kitchen... his makeup was done by our very own makeup artists, Michael. And the costume was created by our very own costumer, Kris. How talented are they?!?!?

• And once again, the Sham-Pow does its job.

----------------------------------------

-------------------

Well, that's all I have to tell you about the making of "iDate A Bad Boy." I hope you like (liked) the episode. It's one of the favorites of the cast, me, and lots of people who work on iCarly.

And, as always, thanks for watching our show.

--iDan :)

P.S. If you happen to start having bad dreams about a monster eating your soup, I sincerely apologize.