Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Over 14? Love iCarly and Victorious? NO, you are NOT Weird!

I've been meaning to write about this for a long time.  Adults who like iCarly and Victorious.  If that subject interests you...

Recently, I got this message on Twitter: 

shellwoz @DanWarp My fiance and I love watching iCarly...and we're both in our mid 30s! ;)

Actually, I get about a dozen comments like that almost every day – about both iCarly and Victorious – people saying stuff like, "I'm not a kid and I love iCarly, is that bad?!?!" and "I watch iCarly even when my kids aren't home.  Does that make me weird?" and "Am I the only guy in his 40s who watches iCarly because I never miss an episode." and "Is it lame that my friends and I are in college and love iCarly?!

I get hundreds of comments like that every week – I kid you not.

And in case you missed the MTV Movie Awards, Jason Segel (age 31) said this:  "I love iCarly.  I mean, like, a lot.  It's, like, my favorite show."

One of the emails I liked best said this (exactly):

"...as a parent of 2 girls and 1 boy (ages 7, 9, and 13) I have never been one to watch tv shows for kids. Most of the programs they watch I find excruciating to sit through and usually send me running out of the room. However lately I started watching your show icarly with them and there is just something different about it. I don't feel like I'm watching a kids show; I feel like I'm watching something well written and funny. I even find myself laughing out loud (that guy who plays the older brother is a riot). My older son clued me in to another one of your shows called Drake and Josh which I'm also enjoying. I don't know how you and your writers manage to make shows that appeal to children and adults but somehow you do. Kudos to you and your writers, please keep up the great work."

That was one of the nicest comments I've gotten.  But as I said, I get soooo many emails from adults telling me they love iCarly and Victorious – and lots of them ask if that's a "weird" or "bad" thing.

There are around 150 people who work on iCarly and Victorious.  And none of us approach it like we're making a "kids show."  We make iCarly and Victorious no differently than if we were writing/producing a primetime half-hour comedy for NBC, CBS, or any one of the major broadcast networks.

Obviously, Nickelodeon is a network for kids so I realize that my main job is to bring kids, tweens, and teens to the screen – but I've never felt that means I have to alienate people over 14. 

I'm friends with some smart, funny people (most of whom are in their 30's and 40's).  I know they watch iCarly and Victorious now and then, and I would be really disappointed if they didn't laugh out loud at least a few times during each episode.

Granted, making kids, tweens, and teens laugh is my most important mission.  Still, when I'm in the writers room, I'm also thinking about my friends, and everyone else in their late teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and beyond.  If iCarly, Victorious, or any of my shows can make the kids and the adults laugh, that's when I feel I've really earned my paycheck for the week.

So, here's my official response to everyone who watches and loves iCarly and/or Victorious who already has their driver's license: NO, IT'S NOT BAD OR WEIRD THAT YOU LOVE iCARLY!  IT'S AWESOME!

And thank you.  I know there are like a billion TV shows and channels to choose from out there, so I very much appreciate you watching anything I put on television.

Love (platonically),
–Dan 

P.S.  If you're still not convinced, you might want to read some parts of a cool article by reporter Chuck Barney by CLICKING HERE.