Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

FUN FACTS About "iQuit iCarly"!!!

by Dan Schneider 
iCarly Executive Producer/Creator 

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
Here's all the cool behind-the-scenes scoop about iQuit iCarly which premiered on Saturday night, December 5th, 2009.

If you're an iCarly super-fan, you'll probably enjoy reading this stuff.  But if you're a casual fan, you might find it a little boring.  But more important...

DON'T READ THIS BEFORE YOU WATCH THE EPISODE IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS!!!!  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!! :)  Remember: You can wait and read these Fun Facts after you watch the episode.  Okay, here we go...

SCENE-BY-SCENE FUN FACTS

When you're done reading all this, please tell any of your friends who like iCarly about these Fun Facts, and that they can come here to read them.  Thanks!

*** iQuit iCarly ***

This is the 4th iCarly big event, meaning either a one-hour or 90-minute special.  The first was iGo To Japan.  The second was was iDate A Bad Boy, and the third was iFight Shelby Marx.  And now we have iQuit iCarly.

These events or "movies" have proven to be the most popular iCarly broadcasts in iCarly's history.  Hopefully, iQuit iCarly will be even more popular!

And now, the Fun Facts about "iQuit iCarly"...

*** Scene 1 *** 
Scene begins with Spencer watching TV while Carly and Freddie are in the kitchen.
  • Freddie is watching a video sent in to iCarly by two new characters named "Fleck" and "Dave".  We got the name "Fleck" from one of the actual writers of iCarly.  I often tweet about writing episodes with Fleck. 
  • The 13-year-old actor who plays "Fleck" (you'll first see him wearing green doctor's scrubs and a red hat), is played by Daven Wilson.  I first hired Daven for the TV movie "Merry Christmas, Drake & Josh."
  • When I was writing the "surgical procedure" web sketch for Fleck and Dave, it was nostalgic for me because it felt very much like writing a sketch for All That or The Amanda Show.  It made me miss those days!
  • While Spencer is watching TV, you'll hear a voice-over guy say, "In 1997, famous boat designer Joe Catania built what?"  The voice-over guy is me.  And Joe Catania is the guy in charge of post production on all my shows.  He's incredibly talented and works ridiculously hard to make every episode look and sound great, which is why I like to give him fun little shout-outs like this. :) 
  • When you're watching Carly and Freddie at the computer, you'll see a giant yellow gummy bear on the counter.  My wife and I have a few of these in our home, in different colors.  They even light up!  You can buy them from a company called Jellio.  
*** Scene 2 ***
Scene begins with Carly and Sam doing the web show.
  • You'll hear Sam say "So pull your hands apart" followed by Carly saying "and take it down for...".  I was surprised when not everyone at work got this little joke.  It's a parody of "Put your hands together" and "give it up for...".  You got it, right?
  • Gibby + bucket of plastic spoons = Joy.
  • Yes, yes... I know there were no Olympics held in 1962 in Fresno. :)
  • Writing for Fleck and Dave was familiar territory for me.  It was very reminiscent of writing for Drake and Josh, and for Kenan and Kel.  (P.S. I talked with Kenan Thompson on the phone yesterday.  I love that guy.  He's one of the most naturally gifted comedians I've ever worked with.)
*** Scene 3 ***
Scene begins in the Groovy Smoothie: Carly, Sam, Fleck, and Dave around a table.
  • T-Bo, back in action!
  • I wonder if spicy-hot smoothies really exist.  Anyone know?
  • And yet a NEW food for T-Bo to serve on a stick.  Sometimes I wonder if the iCarly writers and I will ever run out of ideas for food items that can be impaled on a stick.  I hope not. :) 
  • I think iShorts is a really cool name for a website.  Do you?  I'm kind of surprised we were able to get that URL.  By the way, if you try going to iShorts.com, it will take you directly to iCarly.com – we do that with all the fake URL's mentioned on the show.
*** Scene 4 ***
This scene begins with Spencer in his robe, and Freddie coming into the apartment.
  • Man, Jerry's (Spencer's) hair has gotten LONG, hasn't it?  I think it's a little out of control.  When we resume production in 2010, it might be time to go back to the short-haired Spencer (like in season one).  But I have a feeling that if I have his hair cut, some of the female iCarly fans will attack me.
  • There is a subtle special visual effect in this scene which was added in post production.  Can you identify it?  Hint: It makes the apartment seem more real, and less like a set on a sound stage. 
  • We learn new information about Spencer in this scene.  It's that he has a birthmark... and we also learn the special location of that birthmark.  To find out, you can wait and watch the episode, or if you must know right now, just highlight the two blue X's below!
        X  I'M TOO EMBARRASSED TO TELL YOU!  X
*** Scene 5 ***
Scene begins in a garage with Fleck and Dave wearing purple outfits.
  • The purple costumes and purple hair in this scene really made me feel like I was back producing All That or The Amanda Show.
  • Yeah – you really CAN'T use another man's toothbrush.
  • I think it's pretty cool that all I have to do is write in a script: SAM AND FLECK PUSH A CAR INTO THE GARAGE.  THE CAR HAS BEEN PAINTED PURPLE, ALL OVER – and then I show up at work and find that my production staff has actually gotten a car and painted it purple, all over.  Gotta love show biz. 
  • Carly's line "I brought salad" was not in the script.  I added that line on stage, while we were filming the scene. 
  • Sometimes I get complaints from adults who say my shows don't teach kids valuable lessons.  But that's just not true.  In this episode, Carly teaches us something very important, and that is: Even when you're upset, hedge clippers are never the answer.  Words to live by. :)
---- FIRST COMMERCIAL BREAK ----

*** Scene 6 ***
Scene begins in Carly's apartment with Sam teaching Freddie how to play the "slap game."
  • Did you ever play the "slap game" when you were a kid?  I think I learned it at camp.  It's not the most fun game. :)  
  • A new Penny-Tee! 
  • Let me just say, I love the fact that we've now established that a cat lives in the wall of Carly and Spencer's apartment.  I have a feeling that, in the future, we'll be hearing more from that cat.
  • How cute is Sam's little dance at the end of the scene when she says "Game over"?  She's awesome. 
*** Scene 7 ***
Scene begins in Dave's garage with Carly and Sam trying to get the purple paint off the car (later parts of this scene take place at the Groovy Smoothie).
  • Do you know who Martin Short is?  Some people who work on iCarly commented that the actor who plays "Dave" looks like a kid version of Martin Short.  Your thoughts?
  • I can almost guarantee you that someone will write a comment that says something like: Why is Sam wearing stripes?  Sam said in the iTwins episode that she hates stripes.  I'll say it again: Sam hates stripes on guys.  She likes wearing stripes herself. :)
  • How do you think french fries would taste after being dipped in a smoothie?  Awesome or gross?   
 *** Scene 8 *** 
 Scene begins in the Bushwell parking lot with Spencer standing in his new boat.
    • When we (the writers) were trying to come up with a cool name for Spencer's new boat, we were having a little trouble thinking of something good.  So someone said, "Let's just give it some name as a placeholder" – meaning, a temporary name until we came up with a better one.  Then, somebody said, "Why not just call it the S.S. Placeholder?"  I friggin' love it.  Best temporary boat name ever.
    • Sooooooo many people tell me they love the comedic chemistry between Spencer and Gibby.  If you agree, you're going to flip over this episode.  It has some of the best Spencer-Gibby comedy ever on iCarly.
    • The way Noah ("Gibby") delivers the line "I love that" is nothing short of brilliant.  It made us laugh really hard on set.
    • The non-alcoholic champagne bottle was not real.  It's a prop, make of break-away glass.  Still, we had Noah ("Gibby") keep his helmet on, just to be extra safe. 
    *** Scene 9 ***
    Scene begins with Sam coming into Carly's apartment.
    • It's nice to see Sam KNOCK for a change, rather than just pick the lock.
      • I have to applaud the acting that Miranda and Jennette do in this scene.  The scene is about Carly and Sam having a major fight, but it's not your average "screamy" sitcom fight.  It has a very REAL flavor.  Watch and I think you'll agree.  Very sharp acting skills from these girls.
      • It's kind of chilling how Sam says, "You already named the show after yourself."
      • Point of interest: Actually, Carly didn't name iCarly – Freddie did.  It happened in the pilot episode.  
      • When we shot this scene, Carly pointed out that it was Freddie who named iCarly.  But the episode was long, and I had to edit out these 2 lines of dialogue:  CARLY: "Freddie named it and you liked it."  SAM: "Freddie's a nub and that was then."
      ---- SECOND COMMERCIAL BREAK ---- 

      *** Scene 10 *** 
      Scene begins with Carly and Freddie talking in the Groovy Smoothie.
      • T-Bo's dialogue about "Eddie Robinson" (his former friend) was not in the script.  I added those lines on stage while we were filming. 
      • Yet MORE food impaled on a stick, wielded by T-Bo. :)
      • T-Bo's line "Have I ever cared where you sit?" makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it.  High-larious delivery.
      • The line from T-Bo: "I happen to be a doctor of smoothie-ology" was not in the script.  I added that on stage while we were filming.
      • After Carly is hit in the face by a muffin, you'll see a cranberry on her nose.  That cranberry on her nose is not real – it's a digital effect we added in post.  Cool, huh?  Looks 100% real.
       *** Scene 11 ***
      Scene begins with a closeup of Spencer, on his boat, wearing his captain's hat.
      • In the first shot of this scene (on Spencer) you'll see a seagull fly by overhead.  That is a DIGITAL EFFECT.  It's absolutely amazing how real it looks.  How GREAT is our visual effects guy?!?!?
        • A "shuttlecock" is actually what you call the thing you hit in the game of Badminton.  It's also called a "birdie".
        • Gibby's joke "A-ho!" then "A-hoy!" absolutely kills me.  How funny is that kid?!?
        • Of course Gibby makes his own sauce.  I mean, of course.  And how fun is it that he actually puts a picture of himself on the bottle? :)
         *** Scene 12 ***
        Scene begins in the iCarly studio.   In five, four, three, two...
        • Many fans express their eagerness to see Sam's house.  Well, here, we get to see part of her living room.  But no, we don't get to see Sam's mom... yet. ;)
          • Carly and Sam are pretty darn cute and funny as a hobo and a vampire, don'tcha think?
          • Listen to how Gibby delivers his line: "Uh-oh!  Looks like trouble off the stern... port... bow."  You'll notice how he seems confused and slows down at the end of that line.  The reason?  Noah ("Gibby") forgot the line as he was saying it!  He couldn't remember how it ended.  Later, when I watched it in editing, I felt it played really funny, so I used the take where he forgot the line. 
          • I hope that the vast majority of fans will appreciate the fact that the baseball team's name happens to be the "Pirates" :)
          • When we were shooting this scene, and it came time to shoot the part where Spencer and Gibby pelt the pirates with fish sticks, I had the director tell Noah/Gibby to yell "Pelt!  Pelt!  Pelt!" as he throws them.  It ended up playing really funny.
          • So guess what!  The man biting the heads off the Bambi Dolls?  THAT'S THE REAL FLECK!  Writer, Matt Fleckenstein.  He's awesome.  He's written with me on Drake & Josh, Zoey 101, iCarly, and now Victorious.  He has five kids under the age of 5!  (He just had twin girls a few months ago.)
          • More Spanish from Freddie.  WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!?  Someone explain the Freddie/Spanish thing to me!  Oh wait, I wrote it.  Nevermind.
          ---- THIRD COMMERCIAL BREAK ---- 

          *** Scene 13 ***
          Scene begins in the school hallway with Carly and Sam approaching their lockers.
          • This scene wins for "most man-handling" of Freddie by both Carly and Sam.
          • Everyone who works on iCarly loved this scene because of how it's a metaphor for parents in a bad divorce fighting over (and through) their kids.
          • How awesome is Nathan ("Freddie") in how he delivers his line, "I just want things to be the way they were!"
             *** Scene 14 ***
            Scene begins with Carly walking into her apartment with Freddie, Dave, and a man named Morris.
            • Spencer's first line "Hey peoples" was added in post.  We never recorded that while filming the episode.  We added it about 5 days ago, in an audio booth. 
            • I told ya that we'd be hearing more from the cat in the wall. ;) 
            *** Scene 15 ***  
            Scene begins in the 14th floor hallway, by the elevator and a window.  From this point, we begin cutting back and forth between Spencer and Gibby – and Carly, Sam, Freddie, Fleck, and Dave.
            • Warning: Things start to get pretty scary as this scene progresses.  Pretty intense for a sitcom!  (I'm talking about Carly and Sam on the window washer's platform.)
            • Spencer and Gibby's "watermelon attack" on the boat will have to go down in iCarly history as a classic
            • Spencer's line, "The let's fruit some jerks!" was not in the script.  I added that line while we were filming the scene.   
            • To create a diversion, Sam points and yells, "Ryan Seacrest!"  I very rarely write specific pop culture references like that in my shows.  I sometimes do, but I avoid them because the network and I want my shows to be "evergreen".  We don't ever want the episodes to feel dated.  And you never know if someone who's famous today will be famous a few years from now.  But I don't mind using the name "Ryan Seacrest" for two reasons: (1) My wife and I are big fans of his.  (2) I believe Ryan Seacrest will be evergreen.  I'd bet a lot of money that Ryan is going to continue being successful and on our televisions for a long time.  So, even when people are watching iQuit iCarly in the year 2017, the name "Ryan Seacrest" will still be very current.
            • I think you love the strangely British lines between Gibby and Spencer: "Shall we hit them again, sir?" and "Indeed we shall!" 
            • Carly's line, "No matter how messy this wind makes my hair!" was not in the script.  I added that line while we were shooting the scene... because I could see how messy it REALLY WAS making Miranda's hair. 
              • And now... things get REALLY scary.  Be prepared.
              • It was not scripted for Sam to yell "Situation!  Situation!  Situation!"  I added that while we were filming.
              • When Sam yells "Hair hair hair hair!" - That's a little callback to the iCarly pilot.  The hardcore iCarly fans will know what I'm talking about. ;)
              • I love that, even though Sam Puckett is like the toughest girl character ever, she can get very scared and even cry.  I think that keeps her real – not a "one note" kind of character that you see on some shows.
              • Considering what Carly and Sam went through, heck, I think I'd cry, too (if that happened to me).
               *** Scene 16 ***
              Scene begins back in the iCarly studio.  In five, four, three, two...
              • If you haven't seen "The Blowing" online yet, I think you're really gonna like it. ;)
              • Watch carefully when you see the green movie preview screen, and you'll see the warning: THIS MOVIE CONTAINS A SHIRTLESS GIBBY.  If you can't handle that, avert your eyes.
              • In the fake movie trailer, TWICE you'll see Carly smacked in the face by flying paper.  It happened by accident both times.  But it looked so funny, I made sure I used them in the episode. :)
              • If you don't laugh out loud when Gibby's shirt is blown off, contact your doctor immediately.
              *** End Credits Scene  ***
              This is the little scene you see when the credits roll, after the show.  This time it's a kid playing basketball while riding a unicycle.
              • This is a real video sent into iCarly.com by an iCarly fan.
                ------------------------------------------------

                And that wraps up the Fun Facts and behind-the-scenes info for iQuit iCarly.  As always, thanks for watching!

                –Dan :)

                P.S.  After you watch the one-hour special, please come back her and leave a comment.  I want to know what you thought of the show! :)

                P.S. Remember: If you know of any iCarly fans you think might enjoy reading these fun behind-the-scenes faces, please send them this URL: www.DanWarp.com

                P.P.S. Please tell your friends who like iCarly (or don't know about it yet) to follow me on Twitter: @DanWarp