Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Friday, February 5, 2010

FUN FACTS - "iEnrage Gibby" !!!

by Dan Schneider
iCarly Executive Producer/Creator

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
*** SPOILER ALERT *** 
*** SPOILER ALERT ***  
  
Here's all the cool behind-the-scenes scoop about iEnrage Gibby which airs TONIGHT (Friday), February 5th, 2010.

If you're an iCarly super-fan, you'll probably enjoy reading this stuff.  But if you're a casual fan, you might find it boring.  But even more important...

DON'T READ THIS BEFORE YOU WATCH THE EPISODE IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS!!!!  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!! :)  Remember: You can wait and read these Fun Facts after you watch the episode.  And please feel free to DISCUSS the episode here below, in the comments.  Okay, here we go....
SCENE-BY-SCENE FUN FACTS

When you're done reading all this, please tell any of your friends who like iCarly about these Fun Facts, and that they can come here to read them.  Thanks!

NOTE: I'm formatting these Fun Facts a little differently because Blogger gets kind of wonky when it comes to formatting, and it takes me an extra HOUR (or more) to get everything looking right.  So this time I'm writing these in a simple word processor.  Hopefully everything will look nice and be easy to read.

*** iEnrage Gibby ***

There are different kinds of iCarly episodes.  Some of the are big events.  Some are about character interaction and development.  All (I hope) are funny.  And some go into the "majorly funny" category.

Pretty much everyone who works on iCarly feels that iEnrage Gibby is one of the funniest episodes we've ever done.  I agree.  In terms of laugh-out-loud moments, I think you'll find this episode very top tier.

Most fans know I'm a big fan of the Gibby character, played brilliantly by Noah Munck.  When I first hired him, it was for a one-time guest appearance on iCarly.  But I liked his work, and his character so much, I've sorta turned him into a series regular.  He's not in every episode, but he's in a lot.  And some of you may noticed that I've added a quick shot of him in the opening credits, tossing confetti.  Around here, we often call Gibby/Noah "the fifth Beatle".

iEnrage Gibby is controversial.  It's not the kind of episode that will cause hardcore iCarly fans to argue and debate and -- at least I don't think so.  Sometimes it's hard to know what will incite the super-fans. ;)

I feel pretty sure that this episode is going to be a major crowd pleaser -- a classic iCarly episode in terms of flat-out comedy horsepower.

*** Scene 1 ***
Scene begins in the iCarly studio with Gibby giving a lecture about his nut collection.

A new Penny-Tee on Carly!  You may have to work a little to read it, because Carly's hair covers the top word.  Or, I'll just tell you now.  It says RUBBER TOAST.  And as I keep mentioning, I'm about 85% sure that, soon, Penny-Tees will be for sale at a familiar store near you.  Cool, right?

Gibby's description of the "Kayla" nut, and its origin being a princess named "Princess Dupree" is complete fiction.  I made it up.  There's no such thing as a Kayla nut.  Nor was there ever a princess that became infamous for "throwing nuts at poor people".  That's just me, being weird.

Sam calls Freddie a new name: "Fredalupé" -- does it mean something?  If so, what?  And why I am asking you since I'm the one who does the final pass of every script? ;)

And Gibby's older girlfriend TASHA is back!  Very pretty girl.  This is her second appearance on iCarly.  We first introduced her as Gibby's date in the episode iSpeed Date.  She plays a much bigger role in this episode.

The last line of this scene is Freddie saying (about Tasha), "I want one of those!"  But when we shot this scene, there was another line after that.  Sam put her arm around Carly and said (to Freddie), "Dude, you can't even get one of THESE" (referencing Carly).  I cut that line out, because I felt it played weird coming so soon after iSaved Your Life.  Know what I mean?

*** Main Titles ***

In my recent Fun Facts I've mentioned a change in the main titles, which you see iCarly.com typed into the menu bar.  That change is the addition of TheSlap, which is a brand new website for my new show Victorious, which premieres on March 27th, right after the 2010 Kids' Choice Awards.

*** Scene 2 ***
Scene begins with Spencer in the apartment, as he's shredding newspapers with an industrial, gasoline-powered paper shredder.

You'll see that this episode was written by Jake Farrow, the guy who played "Gavin" on Drake & Josh (the one at the Premier Theater who always asked Josh to do things, but then later would say "I got it."). 

You'll see that this episode was directed by Jonathan Goldstein, the guy who played "Walter" – the dad on Drake & Josh. 

Here's a VERY trivial piece of trivia about this scene.  It's about Sam's line: "I don't remember or care."  If you're watching the episode on an older (NON high-def) TV, that line plays in a single shot of Sam.  If you watch it on a high-def TV (wide screen), that Sam line plays in a 2-shot, showing both Carly and Sam.

In real life, there is no newspaper called "The Seattle Tribune."  It's a mythical newspaper we made up for iCarly.

There was a short run in this scene about Sam not knowing what "obituaries" were (as she flipped through the newspaper) – and Carly had to explain it to her.  That part of  the scene had to be edited on, because the episode was a bit too long.

*** Scene 3 ***
Scene begins in the school hallway, with Gibby talking to Tasha.

Nice work by our post production department on the Pear Phone, when it plays back Gibby's video message.  We try to be as realistic as we can with stuff like this.  It bugs me when I watch TV shows and movies where the electronics don't look at all real.

When Sam and Freddie approach Gibby and Tasha, it was not scripted for Sam to say, "Hey, home fries" -- which makes me laugh.  The script just said "THE 4 OF THEM AD-LIB GREETINGS" -- and Jennette said something different in every take.  I picked "Hey, home fries" because that was my favorite ad-lib she did.

Gibby's line, "How great is her attitude" is one of my favorite lines in this episode .  Noah delivers is perfectly.

Notice that Gibby says to Tasha, "C'mon, I'll walk you to your car" -- I love that Gibby has a girlfriend who drives (in real life, Noah is only 13-years old!).  He'll be 14 in May.

*** Scene 4 ***
Scene begins with Carly sitting on her couch, playing a ukulele.

Can you recognize the song Carly is playing?  It should sound familiar to you.  And, she wasn't really playing that tune.  The notes were added by our music composer in post production.

Freddie's line, "Wow, that's never been established" -- that's kind of an inside joke line.  It's making fun of television, which I do fairly often in my shows -- I like to poke fun at the genre, even though it's the genre I work in.  To most viewers, it's just a line that won't mean much.  It's one of those little jokes I throw in for people who work in the entertainment business.

When Freddie walks up the stairs, watch out the window.  Hmmm… do we shoot iCarly in a REAL apartment? ;)

Take a good look at Mr. Klemish when Carly opens the door.  See his hair?  Not real.  Why did I have my hair department add the fake hair?  Because the guy who played Mr. Klemish (a great actor named Phil Abrams) was in an episode of of one my previous shows, Zoey 101.  And I wanted him to look different in this episode of iCarly.

I really like the conversation between Carly and Mr. Klemish, when both of them have misunderstood what the other is talking about.  Carly thinks they're talking about the the bad review of Spencer's art, and Mr. Klemish thinks they're talking about Spencer's death.  This is a classic, old-school situation comedy scenario.  They did this type of thing a lot on The Beverly Hillbillies, a comedy I used to watch in reruns when I was little.  (By the way, The Beverly Hillbillies is one of the most popular sitcoms in the history of television.  To this day, it still holds records of total viewership.)

After Carly says, "One sec" -- I love the look she gives Mr. Klemish as she heads to the door.  So subtle and funny.

A little dash of Lewbert, for your comedy enjoyment! :)

Miranda's delivery of the line, "Right… right… what?" is about as good as is gets.

*** Scene 5 ***
Scene begins with Carly thanking people for coming to her hobo party.

I feel that Kris, our head costumer, and her department did a terrific job with all the hobo costumes.  I tweeted a few of these hobo pics a few months back, as we were filming this episode.  You can still find the pics on my TwitPic page.

When Spencer yells, "Don't poke me!" at Gibby -- makes me laugh every time I see it.

The last line of this scene -- Spencer yelling "Why?!?" was not in the script.  I added that on stage while we were filming the scene.  

*** Scene 6 ***
Scene begins in the iCarly studio, with Freddie showing Tasha a small video camera.

I love the way Nathan ("Freddie") delivered his line, "Yes, it works on Cats."  Awesome, dry delivery.

Gibby's reaction to finding Freddie and Tasha on the beanbag together is a CLASSIC iCarly moment.  Noah was ON FIRE when we filmed this scene.  I love it.  It's a side of Gibby we've never seen before.  He's just fantastic in this scene. 

If you don't laugh when Gibby says, "And you do THAT to me?!?" -- you may be deceased.

---- COMMERCIAL BREAK ----

*** Scene 7 ***
Scene begins in the school hallway, with Freddie approaching Carly and Sam.

Sam calls Freddie "Fredwich" -- that maybe be yet another new one (i.e. a new name Sam calls Freddie).

When Freddie shows Carly and Sam the text messages from Gibby, check out the illuminated Pear on the back of his phone.  Cool stuff.

*** Scene 8 ***
This short scene begins on Gibby's porch, with Gibby punching a heavy bag.

This is the second time we've seen Gibby's house.  The first time was in iSpeed Date.

Ya gotta admit, Gibby looks pretty dangerous in this scene. ;)

I think this is the second time we've seen Gibby's mom.  The first time was in iGo Nuclear, when she brought his underwear to school.  She plays a BIG part in an episode that will air very soon (in about a month).

*** Scene 9 *** 
Scene begins with Carly and Sam entering the apartment, with grocery bags.

As usual, those are not real grocery bags being carried by Carly and Sam.  They're special "prop" bags, made of a special material so they don't make noise (crinkling noise).  We use these so that the bags don't cause noise over the actors' dialogue.  If you look at the bags closely, you can tell they don't look like normal paper bags you see at the supermarket.

Sam's first line, "Hey hey hey!" (because of the WAY she says it) is a reference to an old TV show that you might remember if you're 35 or older.  If you know what show and what character it's referencing, please comment below.  I'll be shocked if more than 3 people can guess.  (It is NOT Fat Albert.)

"Sizzle Rocks" are (clearly) a reference to a candy called "Pop Rocks" -- and another lesser known brand called "Space Dust" -- which was the same thing as Pop Rocks.  I used to love that candy when I was a kid.

Almost everyone I've seen watch this episode CRACKS UP when Spencer puts his mouth over Sam's ear.  Did you?

When Sam says, "Get your face OFF my ear" -- you can see her almost laugh (she actually DOES chuckle a little).  That's not "Sam" laughing -- that's JENNETTE laughing, because it was so funny she couldn't hold it in. :) 

By the way, in case you don't know, it's very true -- when an artist dies, the price of his/her artwork tends to skyrocket. 

*** Scene 10 ***
Scene begins in the school hallway, with Freddie approaching Gibby at his locker.

Bet ya five bucks you laugh (or at least smile) when Gibby slaps the cup out of Freddie's hand.

Great exchange of dialogue between Freddie and Gibby.  Nathan and Noah NAILED this scene!  (And later in the scene, Jennette as well.)

Gibby's line, "To no avail!" was not in the script.  I added that line on stage while we were filming the scene.  Same thing with his next line, "There's been a change in venue!"

*** Scene 11 ***
Scene begins in Carly's kitchen, with Spencer going out of his mind, counting spoons.

Surprise!  It's the return of one of Spencer's past girlfriends.  Veronica.  Remember when Spencer wore the tuxedo and freaked out the girl he was dating?  Well, she's back!  Great actress.  (She's also appeared on The Big Bang Theory once or twice.)

I love Veronica's reaction upon seeing Spencer.  Perfect.

Carly's line, "Why am I enjoying this?" was not scripted.  I added that line on stage while we were filming the scene.

*** Scene 12 ***
Scene begins in the iCarly studio, with Gibby shadow boxing, just before they begin the web show.

Gibby's line, "Tell your story walkin" -- that's another one of those very old-school expressions that no one uses anymore.  I love using old phrases like that.  I'm not sure why, but it's just funny to me.  "Tell your story walkin" basically means, "Just get away from me" or "Just get outta here."  I probably learned it from watching old movies or TV shows.

The way Sam says "I don't care" (to Tasha) makes me laugh out loud every time.  Jennette just delivered it hilariously.

Gibby's shirt in this scene makes me laugh.  It just screams "read to fight."

Spencer + raw meat + sock = amusing.

How is this Tasha girl, who's clearly 3 years older than Gibby, so infatuated with him?  What's goin' on with the Gib? :)

------------------------------------------------

And that wraps up the Fun Facts and behind-the-scenes info for iEnrage Gibby.  Thank you for watching.  Let me know what you think.  Comment below.  :)

–Dan :) 

P.S.  I will be making a kind of MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT about iCarly soon after iEnrage Gibby has aired!  STAY TUNED!

P.P.S.  My new show Victorious is coming soon!  It stars Victoria Justice, and it will premier on March 27th, right after The Kids' Choice Awards!  Follow @Victorious.

P.P.P.S. Remember: If you know of any iCarly fans you think might enjoy reading these fun behind-the-scenes faces, please send them this URL: www.DanWarp.com

P.P.P.P.S. Please tell your friends who like iCarly (or don't know about it yet) to follow me on Twitter: @DanWarp