Powered by Schneider's Bakery, Inc.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

The Big Ear of Corn is back! Interview with Dan Schneider

We sat down with “All That” master producer-writer-director Dan Schneider about the illusive and illustrious Big Ear of Corn!

US:  What made you decide to create the Big Ear of Corn?

DS:  Well, at some point when I was writing part of the pilot script for All That, I wanted to add some weird, random, silly element to the “cast.”  And for some reason I thought to myself, "Hmmm, a giant ear of corn would look pretty funny," so I wrote in the Big Ear of Corn.  

US:  Did you just plan to write it in for one episode, or did you know it was going to be a recurring thing?

DS:  I don’t remember exactly.  I probably didn’t know it would become a regular thing on the show – that happens a lot in television.  Sometimes, you think some element of the show will be a major thing, and then you change your mind and stop writing it in – it just goes away.  Other times, you think something’s going to be a one-time bit, but then it becomes a regular part of the show.  That’s what happened with the Big Ear of Corn.  It worked well – it was funny on camera.  So when I'd write new sketches – usually the show's cold opens – I'd keep writing it in, and it became a regular thing on All That.

US:  Can you tell me something else that was supposed to be a one-time bit, that turned into a regular thing?

DS:  You mean for All That?  Or for any show I’ve done?

US:  Let’s say any show.

DS:  Sure.  Gibby on iCarly.  That character was only written to be a guest star for one episode, but then Gibby became a major part of the show.

US:  No way.  How did that happen?

DS:  I just thought he [Noah Munck] was so funny.  His comedy timing – he just made us all laugh.  So, we kept writing him in more and more episodes.  And then finally we decided to make him a series regular character.  Maybe that should be my next spin-off: Gibby & The Big Ear of Corn.

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW HERE: http://danwarp.com/big-ear-corn-all-that/

If you have a comment or question, we’d love to hear from you!  Just type it below, and (in your comment) please let us knowwho your comment is for: Dan Schneider Alyssa Kramer – or the Moderator.  Thanks! πŸ™‹πŸŒ΄πŸ„πŸ£πŸ¦€